The highlight of the Huawei Honor 9 is the dual-camera setup, which is the same tech behind the P10, sans the Leica branding. The 12MP color and 20MP monochrome snappers offer the same modes such as Portrait, Variable Aperture, 2x lossless zoom, and now you can even shoot 4K videos with bokeh effects! The 8MP selfie shooter does bokeh shots, too.
Huawei is all in with the Honor 9. Giving more for less is what a flagship killer used to mean, and what OnePlus once stood for. Could the Honor 9 claim this title? Let’s find out!
|Huawei Honor 9|
Huawei Honor 9 Specifications
- Body: Dual glass body with aluminum frame, 3D Gorilla Glass 3 back
- Screen: 5.15″ LTPS IPS LCD with 1,080 x 1,920 px resolution (428ppi)
- Camera: Dual Camera: 20MP monochrome/12MP color sensors, f2.2, 27mm equiv. focal length, 4-in-1 hybrid autofocus (phase/laser/contrast/depth sensing); dual-LED, dual-tone flash; 2x hybrid zoom; 2160p and 1080p @ 30/60fps video capture;
- Selfie camera: 8MP f/1.9; 26mm lens; simulated bokeh effect; 1080p @ 30fps video capture;
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat with Huawei EMUI 5.1 overlay;
- Chipset: Kirin 960 chipset: Octa-core CPU (4xCortex-A73@2.4GHz + 4xCortex-A53@1.8GHz), i6 co-processor, octa-core Mali-G71 GPU
- Memory: 4/6GB of RAM; 64/128GB storage; microSD slot
- Sound: Huawei Histen 3D sound
- Battery: 3,200mAh Li-Po (sealed); Fast charging
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A (Cat. 12 600/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS/GLONASS/Beidou/Galileo; Bluetooth 4.2; NFC; IR blaster
- Misc: Fingerprint reader
Advantages of Huawei Honor 9 Specs
- Body Design & Display of Honor 9
The Honor 9 is keeping it premium with an all-metal frame and 3D curved design with different colors, though my favourite honor 9 color is glacier gray. The Honor 9 employs a 5.15” LTPS IPS LCD screen – a notch bigger than the 5.1″ IPS-NEO unit on the P10 but keeping the same 1080p resolution. There are 428 pixels per inch on this particular screen and they are compiled from the familiar RGB subpixels.
- Perfomance of Honor 9
The Honor 9, surprise, surprise, employs the same Kirin 960 chip found inside the Huawei P10 and Mate 9. It is developed in-house by Huawei’s chip maker HiSilicon and has been around for some time now. Even with a few months of history behind it, the Kirin 960 is still one of the most powerful smartphone chips, and we are glad to welcome it in our testing lab once again. Most of the Honor 9 models come with 6GB of RAM, great for multitasking.
- Android Os of Honor 9
The Honor 9 runs on the latest EMUI ROM. It is now up to version 5.1, groomed to accompany Huawei’s new lineup. The OS is based on Android 7 Nougat and has been refreshed in a number of ways.
EMUI 5.1 has Theme support, of course. The theme store offers a wide selection and some really artsy options that fit in well with the general high-design image of the Honor 9. Of course, you can always keep things simple and only customize the wallpaper and possibly transition animations.
- Camera Feature of Honor 9
Just like the Huawei P10, the Honor 9 features a dual camera setup, which consists of a 20MP monochrome sensor and a 12MP RGB one, each of these behind its own 27mm-equiv. f/2.2 aperture lens. There is also a dual-tone LED flash.
Huawei introduces Live Photos with this new iteration of the Huawei camera app – it’s a short 3s video taken shortly before you’ve hit the shutter, and it plays when you tap and hold on the image – no 3D Touch required.
Shortcomings of Huawei Honor 9 Specs
- Honor 9 has no water or dust resistance.
- It has no No stereo speakers.
- The Honor 9 is lacking FM radio.
- The Battery capacity is 3,200mAh and it lacks “Quick Charge” feature since the processor is not Qualcomm Snapdragon
- A Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset would have been better but instead, it came with Kirin 960.
- Pictures taken in a low light condition with Huawei Honor 9 is likely to be blurry.