HTC is not only filling that flagship spot in the 2017 U series with the launch of the U11, but also trying to create a proper successor to the HTC 10 to be the leading device of the year. Just a couple months after the U Ultra launched, the U11 arrives with a faster processor, improved battery life, a more compact body, better camera and perhaps most importantly a proper price.
With the big improvements, not only does the U11 make you wonder why the U Ultra exists — but it also makes you start considering it right alongside the flagship competition of 2017. That’s something that happened only briefly with last year’s HTC 10, and we’re going to see if the HTC U11 has what it takes in our full review.
The amazing smartphone features a Quad HD display, an octa-core processor by Qualcomm, 4GB RAM or 6GB RAM, and an Edge Sense functionality that lets you
perform a variety of functions with ease.
HTC U11 Key Specs & Features
- 5.5-inch Super LCD5 Display, 1440 x 2560 pixels 534ppi)
- Octa-core Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 CPU with 4GB/6GB RAM
- Android 7.0 (Nougat), HTC Sense
- 64GB/128GB Storage with support for memory card up to 256GB
- 12MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE (up to 1024Mbps)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Front)
- 3000 mAh Battery with Fast Charging
Advantages of HTC U11 Specifications
- Body Design
HTC U11 features a stylish, curvy look. HTC describes it as being ‘symmetrically slim,’ thanks to 3D glass on both the front and back. The 3D liquid glass surface is the result of a process described as Optical Spectrum Hybrid Deposition. Highly-refractive materials on the rear display a variety of colour when exposed to light. HTC U11 case is amazing
The 5.5-inch Super LCD 5 display should treat your eyes to captivating images with a Quad HD resolution. It enjoys protection of 3D Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
- Hardware and Software
The HTC U11 as would be expected brings along great hardware for enjoyable performance. It is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835. This 64-bit CPU delivers speeds of up to 2.45 GHz.
It receives ample support from RAM of 4GB. As for storage, you get an abundant 64 GB. You are free to extend storage if you are not satisfied with that already provided. The HTC U11 boots Android 7.1 Nougat with HTC Sense skin.
- Edge sense: Just squeeze your Phone to take Pictures
The one big feature (or gimmick, perhaps) of the U11 is its “edge sense” technology, which has been at the core of HTC’s marketing for the phone — that’s why you’re seeing the word “squeeze” so damn often. Yes, when you squeeze the U11 things happen, and HTC’s positioning it as a new way to interact with your phone that’s better than just an extra hardware button or two.
- HTC U11 Camera
As a side effect of the HTC 10’s overall lack of traction in the market, we generally forgot that it had a pretty good camera. Thankfully the U11 not only one-ups the U Ultra’s camera, but steps beyond the HTC 10 at the same time. A new “UltraPixel 3” camera offers 12MP of resolution, 1.4-micron pixels, an f/1.7 lens and switches from laser to phase detection “UltraSpeed” autofocus.
HTC is very proud of this camera, and is happy to tell you it has the “highest ever” DxOMark Mobile score of 90, but more important than any number is how it actually holds up in real use.
Problems of HTC U11 Specifications
- A 3000mAh battery wasn’t exactly acceptable on the massive U Ultra, but is a more appropriate cell size in the 5.5-inch U11. HTC U11 battery capacity should have been more than that because battery life matters much.
- There’s no headsphone jack, so you’ll need to plug the included earbuds into the USB-C port. Though the audio quality so far seems loud, clear and rich.
- Snaps can feel a little sluggish. As much as the U11 takes fantastic photos, it’s not quite as snap-happy as some of its big rivals. There’s a small delay between tapping the shutter button and the photo being saved.
- An HDR screen would have been nice. Both the G6 and Galaxy S8 also have HDR-ready displays, which let you watch Netflix or Amazon videos with more vibrant colours and greater contrast than you’ll find on a standard smartphone. HTC could have done something similar, but it decided not to bother.
HTC U11 Price
In the US, the HTC U11 price is $649 (HTC U11 price in Nigeria is #246,320) — you’ll be able to pick it up in sapphire blue, amazing silver and brilliant black. Buy the unlocked version from , and AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon carrier versions from Amazon. The phone will arrive on your doorstep in June if you reside in US.